Saturday, November 06, 2010

A Nice End to a Loooong Week

Yesterday I went to the hospital to have a First Trimester Screen. It's an evaluation to identify risk for specific chromosomal abnormalities including Down’s Syndrome Trisomy-21 and Trisomy-18. It combines a blood screening with an ultrasound while taking into consideration the mother's age and health history. Without factoring the blood proteins which take 5 days to process, I have a one in fourteen hundred chance of having a baby with one of these abnormalities. Considering my health history it looks like our baby will probably be born without any of these kinds of issues. Yay!

Another awesome perk was being able to see the baby! I still am in such awe over being able to see so much detail. I got to see our baby's brain, 4 chambers of his or her heart, stomach, bladder, and of course face, arms, and legs. Even though this is the third time, it still brought tears to my eyes. It makes it all even more real.

According to the ultrasound my new due date is May 9th.

No comments: