Thursday, August 28, 2008

Easy Beer Bread

Yesterday I made a yummy cream of potato & leek soup to try and use up some veggies from our CSA share. I wanted a quick bread to make and serve with dinner and remembered reading about Beer Bread. A quick Google search brought me to this recipe:

Beer Bread

3 cups flour (sifted)
3 teaspoons baking powder (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
1 teaspoon salt (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
1/4 cup sugar
1 (12 ounce) can beer
1/2 cup melted butter (1/4 cup will also do just fine)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix dry ingredients and beer.
3. Pour into a greased loaf pan.
4. Pour melted butter over mixture.
5. Bake 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.

This came out great! I used a bottle of beer which only has 11.5 ounces but it still worked. I also sprinkled basil, garlic powder, and a few other spices over the melted butter before baking. To make this Jamie safe-I also used soy butter instead of regular butter.

Inspired-today I made another loaf. To the mixture I added two teaspoons of orange extract and about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of craisins. I also sprinkled cinnamon and brown sugar over the butter before baking. So yummy!!!!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I had potato and leek soup yesterday, but it certainly wasn't homemade. :) Everything sounds yummy.

lawhee said...

you are making me hungry

Anonymous said...

I have to try this recipe. I currently order beer bread from Tastefully Simple (which I love), but hey, if this works...

Spanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I am completely addicted to this bread now. I have a loaf in the oven with garlic and sharp cheddar. Thanks to you, I will probably have to buy bigger pants. :)