Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Case of the Tuesdays

This morning I did NOT want to get out of bed. Sunday, I helped Jake do some shoveling outside and Monday I was fine. So fine that James and I played outside in the snow and being the great Mommy I am, I pulled and pushed him all over the yard in his little orange sled. This morning I am feeling it! So we're taking it a little slow & easy today. Is this old age or am I even more out of shape than I thought?

I decided to make some chocolate cookies for the playdate James and I are going to tomorrow. It's something that doesn't require too much effort, especially with the awesome new mixer I got for Christmas! I don't know how I made cookies before this thing; it really rocks! And check it out-it's red. (Unfortunately blue was out of stock)

I used the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe by Crisco with a few modifications. With Jamie's allergies, he can have a little milk and dairy when it is cooked-but the butter typically in chocolate chip cookies is much more than he can handle. You'll see I also used Egg Replacer in this recipe. Ordinarily one egg is no big deal for James but I happened to be out of eggs. Whoops! The bonus is, with the E.R., you can safely eat the cookie dough with no fear of dying from salmonella. Two thumbs up! I also omitted the nuts.

Here are the Ingredients & My Mods:

3/4 cup Crisco® Butter Shortening
1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk (I've used soymilk too & it works fine)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 large egg (for this batch I used Ener G Egg Replacer)
1 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 (6 oz.) package semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (optional) (No nuts in this house.)

Directions:

HEAT oven to 375ºF.
COMBINE shortening, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Beat in egg. Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Mix into shortening mixture until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
DROP by rounded measuring tablespoonfuls 3-inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet.
BAKE 8 to 10 minutes for chewy cookies, or 11 to 13 minutes for crisp cookies. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet on a cooling rack. Remove cookies to rack to cool completely.

Now I have to hide all the cookies before I eat them all! Chocolate chip cookies are one of my favorites! Would you like to check out more recipes? Here's my Thursday Thirteen from 08/23/07: 13 Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes.

No comments: