Saturday, February 09, 2008

The Gift Giving Continues

I know you guys love those stories about the wonderful gifts Jake and I receive from some of our wacky family members, so I thought I'd share a few more. (In case you are just tuning in, check out this and this post.)

We received a multitude of gifts sent up from Florida this year for Christmas, however, I'll only highlight one as it would waste too much time to photograph and describe them all, and well, it's just not worth it. So here is what Jake's Grandmother sent us:

A set of 4 bowls, which when she called to see if we liked them, made a point to repeatedly mention that they were made in Italy. She has this thing with gifts made in Italy. I guess because I'm Italian I'm suppsoed to appreciate them more or maybe she thinks it makes her gift of greater value? Lovely, aren't they? I don't know if my ceramics background has made me a snob, but that's the worst glazing job I've ever seen! And oh-but wait, that's just the bowl that was on top. Upon further inspection, two of the bowls were dirty and then there was this one:

Do you see it? Look closer... YES! IT'S A CRACK! And not just a little fracture in the bowl, but a crack that goes from one end to the other meaning at one time this ugly dish was in two pieces but someone glued it back together. And they sent it to us as a Christmas gift. I guess I should be greatful I only got 4 bowls and not a whole 16 piece set. Anyone want them? 4 bowls that were made in Italy? They're free... Oh that's right, nevermind. I threw them out 2 weeks after Christmas.

Here is the second gift I thought I'd share. (Also from Jake's Grandmother) This week on the 12th is Jake's birthday. A package arrived yesterday from Florida for him. Want to take a guess about what was inside? The possibilities are endless so I'll just show you. Check this baby out:

Yes that would be a dirty plate with Abraham Lincoln on it. But not just any plate, it's a limited edition plate made specifically for the Erie County Republican Party Committee. Why did she send this to Jake? I imagine it is because he shares a birthday with Abe. Makes sense, right? If your birthday was on Columbus Day, you'd want a plate with Christopher on it, wouldn't you?

Anyone else get any wacky gifts recently they want to talk about?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure with your fine arts degree why you can't appreciate these spectacular pieces of artistic mastery. I'd like you to send them to me if you don't like them. Address is 1313 Mockingbird Lane.

Teriana said...

Who wouldn't want to be eating off the face of Abe Lincoln? Reminds me of the old lady on Nat'l Lampoon's Christmas Vacation who wraps up her cat and jello salad as gifts.

For Christmas, I got of all things, a lottery ticket. And my brother was kind enough to point out that only a week before I had mentioned that a lottery ticket was the worst gift you could give. It's like saying here, you get NOTHING for Christmas! NOTHING! And yes, the gift giver was three feet away when he said this. I wanted so bad so win something to make her feel better, even a dollar, but of course, I won nothing.

Joanne said...

Yikes! That is rough. It sucks when your words come back to bite you in the ass.