Saturday, July 22, 2006

Food for Thought

Breastfeeding is suddenly a popular topic in the news these days. (The subject of talk shows, magazines, and articles) It seems Americans are disgusted by women who nurse their babies in public. I don't understand why it's such a big deal. Aurelia Ann has some statistics and good points at her blog on the issue.

No one in my family breastfed and when Jake and I married, he really wanted me to try it when we had children. I was apprehensive but decided I would try it because of all the health benefits for baby and mother. I was so nervous about it because of all the information I read about how difficult it could be and how people give up because of how painful it can be. I must admit, in the hospital, it was difficult. Jamie wasn't latching on properly and it would hurt like hell! However, the lactation consultants at the hospital were (are) wonderful and really helped us through it AND since I've been home, I've had no difficulties feeding Jamie. In fact when he was born, he weighed 7lbs. and 3 oz.-when we left the hospital he weighed 6lbs. and 8 3/4oz. At his first doctor appointment his weight was back up to 7lbs. and .7oz. So, he is definately getting enough. The only drawback to feeding in my opinion is how time consuming it is. I feel like the majority of my day is spent sitting on my butt feeding him. But it is worth it.

1 comment:

Annie said...

It gets better! I feel like I spent my first 3 months sitting on the couch feeding Josh and now there is actually time and naps between feedings!

Thanks for the comment on my blog, and I'm glad I made my way over here because I saw your link to 43things and I love it!