Monday, November 08, 2010

Third Time's A Charm?

I had an OB appointment this morning and so far everything is going really well with this pregnancy. I've only put on 2 1/2 pound so far which is awesome and I got to hear the baby's heart rate which was between 158 and 162.

A few weeks ago I had blood work done and a surprise glucose test. It wasn't a complete surprise. I knew I was going to have one earlier than the recommended 24 weeks because I had gestational diabetes with the previous two pregnancies but I did not realize the NP included it on the blood work script at my first appointment! I scheduled the blood work for a Saturday morning since Jake would be home and could watch the kids. I got up, made chocolate chip pancakes, ate, showered and an hour later left for my 11am appointment. My heart sank when phlebotomist told me I made it just in time for my glucose screening because they close at 12. I had not fasted for a glucose test! I expected failure for sure. Chocolate chip pancakes with real maple syrup plus the glucose drink on top of that???

Well-this morning I found out that I passed. Phew! I will get tested again at 24 weeks but I think that losing weight before I got pregnant has helped. I've also changed my eating habits quite a bit after the last two pregnancies so I am hoping that the combination of the two will be enough to avoid GD this time. If not, the diet is easy to follow. It just sucks pricking your finger 4 times a day.

No comments: