Sunday, March 29, 2009

The San Fransisco Treat!

I don't know what made me think of it, but last night while I was brushing my teeth I was reminiscing about Rice-A-Roni. I just had to look it up to see if they still made it since I haven't had it in so long. My mom started making it when I was in high school and when I went to college, I bought boxes of the stuff at a time because it was so easy to make. I loved it! There was something about frying up the vermicelli first and then the rice cooking after wards that was awesome. My favorite flavor though was broccoli au gratin. Yum!

Honestly I have not had any since college. Since I got a rice cooker (from my friend Kelly's recommendation) I make a lot more rice because it is so easy! When she suggested I get one, all I could imagine is the scene from Breakfast at Tiffany's when the pressure cooker explodes all over the place. But I love it! It's nothing like that. You just set it and forget about it. So now my favorites are Zattarins or Uncle Ben's rices. Aside from those mixes I make plain brown rice or yellow rice. I can't remember the last time I made white. I don't know if I've ever bought white since I've lived in this house and that will be 5 years this summer.

Here's a quick recipe using rice that I like to make:

Quick & Easy Burritos

-1 box Zattarins red beans and rice or black beans and rice
-1 8oz can of tomato sauce or taco sauce
-1 pound ground beef
-1 packet of taco seasoning
-1 jar salsa
-1 bag shredded Mexican taco mix cheese or cheddar cheese or you can use slices of American cheese
-1 package of flour tortillas

Preheat oven to 350.
1. Prepare rice according to directions.
2. Brown and drain ground beef, seasoning with taco packet. I also like Lowrey's seasoning salt if I don't have a taco packet.
3. Mix rice with beef and add the tomato sauce (or taco sauce).
4. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with a non-stick spray.

Open the package of tortilla shells. I microwave them one at a time for about 15 seconds so they are soft to work with.
1. Spoon meat rice/mixture onto middle of tortilla shell. Put about a tablespoon (or more) of salsa on top and then shredded or sliced cheese on top of that.
2. Fold top and bottom of tortillas over each other and then sides in.
3. Lay on baking sheet with folds down. If I am using sliced cheese, I'll lay a slice over the top.
4. Once baking sheet is filled, bake for about 15-20 minutes.

That's it! Enjoy!

No comments: