Saturday, December 20, 2008

Two Weeks Old

and the rest of my story...

We got to the hospital at 9:45. I was bummed when we were given the small labor room near the nurses station that was without a jacuzzi tub. With James I had a room with a tub and couldn't use it because my water had broke and I had to be induced. The nurse told me that there was a patient who was almost done with a room with a tub and maybe we could move later.

My contractions were uncomfortable but not unbearable yet. When the midwife checked me she said she thought I was about a solid 4cm. She said that she and my doctor had decided that we'd see if labor progressed and have us stay over night regardless because of the distance of our home and the weather. If I didn't dilate anymore by morning, I'd be discharged.

About an hour later, my water broke and everything started getting really uncomfortable. I tried breathing through contractions. They kept getting stronger and more painful. Jake tried to comfort me. At first it felt nice for him to rub my back. Later, I didn't want him to touch me. I couldn't believe how intense they were. The midwife asked if I wanted an epidural and I told her yes please!!! I kept trying to focus on the crappy impressionist painting on the wall next to the bed. It was a garden scene with wicker furniture and lemonade on a table. I tried to imagine being there-but I was doing a terrible job and had little relief.

I kept waiting and waiting for the anesthesiologist to show up. At one point I even swore in anger and pain. The midwife checked me again and she and the nurse were giving each other glances and talking to each other quietly. I was suspicious. The made Jake leave and they said the anesthesiologist should be there any second that they told him he needed to come asap. I was worried he wasn't coming. My contractions were so strong that I couldn't even sit up to get the epidural. They had me curl up in a ball on the bed. It turns out that I was completely dilated (which is why the contractions were so painful!) and almost lost my window for pain relief. I was annoyed that it took the doctor so long to get to me. Thankfully he was willing to still do the procedure even though I was so far along. I was grateful!

Finally! Feeling more comfortable, I was able to lay back and rest while we waited for my doctor to show up. I didn't have the urge to push yet which was good.

Finally the OB showed up and I was ready to push. Olivia was born at 1:30am. I don't think I even pushed for half an hour. I don't know if it was because I went through it before and was more effective at pushing this time but her head came out a lot quicker and easier than when James was born.

So 3 hours and 45 minutes of hospital time was all it took! My OB was not kidding when she said the second one would come a lot quicker than the first and not to dawdle when I felt like things were happening. She's only been here two weeks but it feels like much longer.


Mama Mia said...

You had me giggling a couple of times. I am very empathetic and you did a great job! WTG being completely dialated...I'd have bbeen nervous wwhen the waters broke b/c for me I always go really fast at that point. However I have always has arom. Olivia looks so sweet; hope her mama is doing well. -Peg

Jessica said...

Anesthesiologists love to take their sweet. Imagine living someplace where epidurals aren't even an option. The horror.

She's a real cutie pie. Congratulations!

Indigo said...

Joanne, she is just gorgeous!