Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Blueberry Strawberry Crumb Bars

Here's a great recipe I got from a member of The Mommies Network Group I am a part of.

Blueberry Crumb Bars

Crust/Topping
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter (I used Shedd's Willow Soy Margarine)
- 1 egg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon

Filling
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (or any berry-I used strawberries)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsps cornstarch

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 8x8 inch pan.

In a medium bowl, stir together the following crust/topping ingredients: sugar, flour, & baking powder. Mix in salt and cinnamon. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and the egg. The dough will be crumbly. Pat half of the dough into the greased pan.































In another bowl, stir together the sugar and the cornstarch. Gently mix in the blueberries. (I added a little vanilla & some lemon zest to this) Sprinkle the mixture over the dough crust.
















Crumble the remaining dough over the berry layer.
















Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until the top is slightly browned. Cool completely before cutting into squares.















This is delicious! It's not too sweet, but definately sweet enough for a dessert. I only had a tiny taste because I'm watching my points but hopefully I can indulge in a bit later.

No comments: