Friday, March 21, 2008

Sweet Success

Yesterday while turning pages of a book, James got his first papercut. We were sitting on the couch and he says "boo boo". I glance over and he looks alright, look away for a moment, and turn back to see his finger coated in blood. Oh crap! I knew his finger wasn't a big deal but he was wearing a white dress shirt. (We had a birthday dinner to go to!)

I hustle him into the bathroom where I grab a tissue. While I apply pressure to his cut (which is right above his cuticle-ouch!), I clean up his other hand. Done? No. Still bleeding. Raise his finger up in the air...still bleeding.

Finally, after a minute or two, I decided it was time to do what any old-fashioned, Italian girl would. I took James into the kitchen and grabbed the sugar bowl. Except I couldn't bring myself to just immerse his finger into it as I've seen my Nonna do. Instead, I dumped sugar into a sandwhich baggie, put his finger in, and applied a little pressure. Of course the bleeding stopped! I don't know what the science is behind it, but it really works.

And speaking of cuts, today James tripped, fell, and bit his lip. Fortunately it wasn't deep and stopped bleeding right away. (No sugar required) Still, I'm hoping we're done with blood for awhile.

1 comment:

Teriana said...

Sugar on a wound? I've never heard of such a thing. I wonder why that is.