Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Breaking the Fast of Sleep

I don't know why I started doing this, but ever since Jake's had to go to the office everyday, I've been making smoothies for breakfast. I think it's laziness mostly. Before, I made breakfast for everyone and without Jake home, if it weren't for James, I'd probably eat nothing. But since I have to make something for him, and breakfast is supposed to be the "most important" meal of the day-this is a simple solution. BTW-would you believe there is actually a wikipedia article about breakfast? If you check it out-there is a section that describes a typical breakfast in different countries that's neat.

Anyhow-making smoothies is sooooo easy. Toss everything into a blender, processor, or magic bullet (which is what I've been using). Here are the ingredients for my favorite:

These numbers are guesstimations since I don't actually measure and eyeball it. You can adjust to your liking. You can also adjust the "healthiness" of it by the type of milk and yogurt you use.

-1/2 a banana
-1/2 to 3/4 cup plain yogurt
-1/4 cup oatmeal
-10 frozen or fresh cherries (I also love to use strawberries too)
-1 to 1 1/4 cups of milk

Throw ingredients in any order, blend, and enjoy!



2 comments:

Teriana said...

That breakfast article was interesting. Who knew the Japanese don't really have any different foods for breakfast than for other meals. It just proves my friends wrong when I'd eat pizza for breakfast or french toast for dinner and they'd give me a grossed out look. It tastes the same no matter what time of day it is.

Joanne said...

I'm with you on that. I've eaten left overs for breakfast before. Sometimes I don't even like OJ because it's too sweet so early in the morning.