Thursday, November 15, 2007

Rotten Tomatoes

A conversation with a friend about Art got me thinking about some of my previous "masterpieces". While I was in grad school for my Art Education degree, I was fortunate enough to be able to take some Fine Arts courses including painting and printmaking. It was wonderful to be working with artistic materials again! If I could do it all again, I would have followed my gut and continued my education with Fine Arts instead of the teaching. My heart has always been in the arts...but that's another story.

Anyhow-when I was pursuing my Bachelors in Fine Arts, I only took one painting course. So I jumped at the chance to take a painting class again. It was a great class taught by a wonderful professor, Lin Xia Jiang, who besides teaching, is a painter in his professional life. What was great was that the class was structured very loosely. Most of us had minimal painting experience and he allowed us to choose our own subjects. It was fun to see how our paintings evolved.

So, here is my amazing (NOT!) body of art from that class:

This painting is called Angel. For that class we were allowed to work in the medium of our choice, but one of our paintings had to be with a different medium. I decided to choose oil because I've never worked very well with it. Can I tell you, I still hate oil? I don't remember where in the following series I did this painting.

These next paintings could be considered a series I guess although there isn't that great of a flow to them. They do have a common theme. See if you can figure it out.

This one is called "Yoga".

This one is "Waiting".

This one "Support".

"Thirty".

Lastly, "Empty".

I think I also have one more painting floating around which is unfinished. Wonder where that is? While looking at these and seeing their terribleness, they each posses a quality that I like. For example-in "Yoga" I love those posing women figures. I hate the colors and background I chose though. I really like the composition of "Thirty" but there is something about it which doesn't flow right. That's what's great about Art and making though, the growing and learning process! I really should pull out and fill my empty canvases.

1 comment:

Alejandra Myerston Castillo said...

Wow Jen I didn't know you could paint like this. Ale